On Novemeber 11, 2002, my life was changed forever. It was a cold, rainy day, much like today was. I was working out at the rec and ran into a guy in my calculus class. He asked if I was doing anything that evening, and I responded with the typical...working on homework. There was an exhibition boys basketball game that night, and he was going with a couple friends. Of course, he asked if I wanted to go, and I, of course, said sure. My initial thought...what am I going to wear? Was it a date or was it just hanging out? We were going with his two friends...what will they think of me? All these thoughts and questions just boggled my mind. I decided on a black turtleneck sweater and jeans, and when he picked me up at the door with his two friends in tow...I knew I was a bit overdressed. The three typical college boys were wearing t-shirts. Oh well, I thought. The game was boring and the team wasn't very good, but I was in great company, and we even got shown on the big screen. We left early, and he walked me back to my building. We were both a little nervous, not knowing what to do, but someone made the first move, and we shared our first kiss. It was then that I knew we were on our first date...even though it was with his two friends...and that this guy was special.
What happened on our second date, you ask? Nothing...he cancelled it to play cards with his friends. I was pretty bummed, but we rescheduled for the next night and went bowling. This time, he was the one overdressed...khakis and a button-up shirt. Me...jeans, an old sweater, and tennis shoes. He beat me at both games, and got razzed by his friends for not letting me win at least one game. He learned his lesson though and tried to keep competive games close enough for me to at least think I was good.
The rest they say is history. It has been six wonderful years knowing the man I now call my husband. He will do anything for me and always has my back. He comforts me when I'm sad and protects me when I'm scared. He runs errands for me when I'm swamped with work and calms me down when I'm stressed. We've had our ups and we've had our downs, but I wouldn't change a thing and I hope he wouldn't either. Here's to the best six years of my life with many more to come.
(This really wasn't a "toast" but with all the wedding toasts I've heard this year, I just couldn't resist that last line.)
2 comments:
:) I don't think I have ever heard the story of your first date. Thanks!
Ahhh...Isn't it wonderful when you finally find someone to be your best friend, lover and parnter forever...Glad to see you will be following in both of your parents footsteps.
However, you might want to put all of that in writing, because when you get to the 25th and 50th anniversary, things may have a tendency to fade.
Post a Comment