Sunday, July 19, 2009

DIRT!

We got about 4 tons of dirt dropped on our driveway on Friday. It was a ton extra than we had ordered, but the guy said it was the same price, so he went ahead and gave us extra...joy...

We wheeled it over to the side of the house on Friday evening, and it actually didn't take too long. Then on Saturday, we borrowed our neighbor's truck to go rent a plate compactor. I think Jason had fun operating it, but at one point I asked him if he wanted a drink. He said, yes, I'd like a beer. I told him he couldn't drink while operating heavy machinery. :) Besides that it was only 10 in the morning, and I didn't want him to look like our alcoholic neighbor.

He had to borrow another neighbor's hand tamper to get real close to the house, and after he used it for a bit, he appreciated the plate compactor.

It seemed like a never-ending process to get the dirt sloping at an appropriate level. One of those things you could probably mess with all day long. We got it to where we though it was good enough and decided to just stop.

So you may be wondering...did you use all the dirt? Not even close. We probably had about 1 1/2 tons left over. It's one of those things that you ask, now what do we do with all this extra dirt? Well, lucky for us and our neighbor (the one we always borrow tools from), she needed dirt in her side yard. It's just been washed away from all the rain we've had since it's on a major slope, and she took the rest of the dirt we had. Yes! We of course helped her wheelbarrow it over there and Jason used the compactor on it. In the end, she gave us $35, which actually paid for the rental of the compactor. I really do love our neighbors...well...except for you know who...

No comments: